Monday, April 16, 2012

Estación de Madrid Atocha

This morning I got my first good look at the Madrid Atocha Railway Station. It is the main train station and the original structure was build in 1892. It is currently undergoing renovation. I wish I could have seen the finished product, but I guess it will have to wait until I visit next time.


On the right you can see the original station with the new add on to the left behind it. That was added in the 80s and the original station now houses shops and restaurants.


It turned out that I missed the train that I had originally wanted to take so I had some time to kill in the station. I sat and ate lunch under this forest that have in the old section now. It was very relaxing.


It really is an amazingly designed building with the steel structure that is reminiscent of the Eiffel Tower.


2 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place to have lunch. Weather looks nice, too. To where is your train taking you next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mom! It was a really nice train station. Today the trip was to Toledo, and I've got a blog post on that coming soon. I've got one more day left in Madrid before I head out by train to Cordoba to start the main Andalucia part of my trip.

    ReplyDelete