Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Day 05 - Córdoba East

Today I finally arrived in Andalucia for the main part of my journey. I will be visiting four of the most important cities Cordoba, Granada, Malaga, and Sevilla. I took the 8:35am high-speed train from Madrid to Cordoba.

When I arrived I checked into my hotel and quickly set out for the first part of my day. Below you can see the Roman temple of Cordoba which was built in the 1st century AD but only discovered in the 1950s. It sits at the corner of a street called Claudio Marcelo which takes the same path into the city center as it did during Roman times. It's always amazing to me to be walking down the same path as people have been for thousands of years.


On of the many gardens in Cordoba. It's citizens are fortunate to have such a beautiful place to live. One thing that I'll be unable to convey in these pictures is the smell of sweet flowers that seems to be everywhere in this town.


Another Roman wall on the opposite side of the temple. I'm a big fan of the history of the Roman Republic and Empire so any chance I get to discover Roman ruins is great fun for me. It's amazing how much of Europe they touched in their time.


Here is just a taste of how interesting all of these streets are. Every turn is something new. That looks like a fun way to see the city!


All of the white walls accented with the green trees, flowers, and colorful paint accents really brings these buildings to life.


Plaza del Cristo de los Faroles. The statue is called Chist of the Lanterns.


It was amazing that I got this whole plaza to myself for a few minutes with only the one guy there playing classical guitar. I tossed him a Euro for entertaining me for a few minutes while I checked out the plaza.





Torre de la Malmuerta was built as a gate tower in the 15th century and was later used as a prison for nobles. The name translates as "Tower of the Bad Dead Woman" who, according to legend, was killed here by husband after a false accusation of adultery.


Iglesia Santa Maria


Iglesia de San Lorenzo. What a great looking church!








Here is a little park that I stopped at for a few minutes to answer emails. Gotta keep in touch.


Plaza de la Corredera is the only closed main square in Cordoba. I decided to hang out for a while and have lunch here.


Tomatoes with tuna and olives. Yum!!





Plaza del Potro is an old square where the character Don Quijote de la Mancha stayed in one of his adventures in the book by Miguel de Cervantes.








2 comments:

  1. Cool day Nick, I love the Roman Empire history myself. Loved the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find the Roman Empire to be fascinating! I love the way you travel. Oh, and the tomatoes with tuna and olives look amazing! MMMmmm!!

    ReplyDelete