Saturday, April 21, 2012

Day 07 - Granada

In the morning I had to depart Cordoba and catch a train to Granada where I will be staying for three nights. I've got a lot of stuff to see here but I gave myself plenty of time so I wont need to rush. 

Close by to my hotel there is Monasterio San Jeronimo.





The courtyard was very tranquil and I had the whole place to myself while I was walking through. It must just be the time of year that I am vising Spain but this seems to happen to me quite a lot at sights I visit. 


I was less impressed the Baroque style interior. On my last time to Italy I think I got spoiled by their churches and have been a little let down by the ones in Spain so far. Hopefully that will change when I get to Seville where I hear their cathedral is quite good. 


Very classy stuff these Catholics have here. 








Puerta de Elvira sits in the corner of Plaza del Triunfo and is a Moorish-style archway that was once part of the old city walls. 





Now I start heading into the area known as the Albayzin which sits on the slope of a mountain facing the Alhambra. It is characterized by small twisting street and white buildings. It's easy to get lost in here. 








In the heart of the Albayzin is the Plaza Large where locals congregate.  


San Nicholas in the Albyzin. From Plaza San Nicolas there is a perfect viewpoint for the Alhambra just to the south across a valley. I spent quite a bit of time here taking pictures. I'll show you more of those when I put up my Alhambra post. 


After the Reconquista Muslims were persecuted and forced to leave Spain, but recently there has been a resurgence in the population and in 2003 the Mezquita Mayor was built in the Albyzin. 





Overlooking the Albyzin and Sacromonte neighborhoods. 


Sacromonte


Paseo de los Tristes is a popular tourist spot with restaurants lining the street with a view to the Alhambra. 




Here was where I ate my dinner in the Plaza Nueva. I had a beef kabob sandwich and beer. 


In the Plaza Isabel la Catolica there is a statue of Columbus handing over plans for his voyage to discover the Americas. There are lots of references to this in Spain today, but considering they have subsequently lost of these territories in the present time I wonder if these aren't just a reminder of the greatness that they used to have. Kind of sad for them I would think. 


Plaza de Bib-Rambla is a square just around the corner from my hotel. It was once the center of Moorish Granada. 


No comments:

Post a Comment