Sunday, April 15, 2012

Day 02 - Madrid Museums with Meggie

This morning I meet up with Meggie again and set out for a day at the art museums. Meggie is pretty much the best person to have with you on a visit to an art museum. She seems to have insights on everything. I was very lucky to have her as my guide for the day. Thanks Meggie!

First up was the Reina Sofia where we saw some really great Spanish artists including Pablo Picaso, Salvador Dali and Joan Miro.


The highlight of the visit to the Reina Sofia was Pablo Picasso's Guernica from 1937. It depicts the bombing of Guernica by German and Italian forces at the request of the Spanish Nationalist government. It was a very moving painting.

I couldn't take a picture but this is what it looks like.


After we finished with the museum Meggie took me around to the other side of the building to show me where she is doing her research.


In between museums we stopped off and had a little lunch at a cafe near the Prado Museum.


Here is my salad with some kind of greens and seafood that kind of had the consistency of squid. It tasted great!


Beer and Coke Light. Europeans don't drink diet sodas.


Next up was the world famous Prado Museum, the most visited in Spain. Here was many great artist including Velazuez, Goya, Titian, Rubens, and Bosch. My favorite work was The Garden of Earthy Delights by Hieronymus Bosch.


This is me in front of the Prado.


1 comment: